Get the 2021 six-coin set honoring the Rappahannock Tribe of Virginia. This Uncirculated set is part of the popular Native American series. The common reverse features the 195-mile long Rappahannock River that flows through eastern Virginia into Chesapeake Bay. The north shore was used for village settlements and the south shore for hunting. Each coin’s obverse depicts a detail from daily life uniquely associated with the Rappahannock:
- 1¢ – low-salinity river oysters were a major part of the tribe’s diet.
- 5¢ – tobacco was a major crop and peace ceremonies often included a traditional pipe of tobacco.
- 10¢ – red stag deer are represented in the tribal seal and early English explorers noted warrior headdresses made from deer pelts.
- 25¢ – the river’s name comes from an Algonquin word for “quick, rising water.”
- 50¢ – the Rappahannock believe the eagle is a messenger from the Creator.
- $1 – Chief George Nelson was active in re-establishing the tribe’s presence and traditions in 1923.
Officially recognized as a sovereign nation by the U.S. government, the Jamul Tribe is legally authorized to issue its own commemorative coins, including this Uncirculated 6-coin set. Mintage is limited to 25,000. Affordably priced, it comes in a colorfully illustrated display card with a certificate of authenticity. The Rappahannock Tribe is a great addition for collectors of this unique series!
- Year: 2021
- Presentation: With Holder
- Product Type: Sets