Here's a $5 gold piece from the turn of the century that's unlike any other U.S. coin design. Created by Boston sculptor Bela Lyon Pratt in 1908, the design, which is usually raised, is recessed below the surface – a technique that has roots in ancient Egyptian artwork.
- Innovative recessed (incuse) design
- Life-like Native American chief – a bold departure from previous "liberty" style coinage
- Only $5 gold half eagle type of this style
- Struck in 90% gold
- Issued for 10 years only from 1908-1916, then one more time in 1929
Today, these historic coins have vanished into the annals of history. With the passage of 80 years, loss through attrition, and melting, who knows exactly how many still survive. This is your chance to add one of the most distinctive U.S. coins to your own collection, get yours right away.
- Mint: Denver
- Product Type: Single Products
- Denomination: $5 - Half Eagle
- Year: 1909
- Material: Gold